Sunday, April 02, 2017

“My Hope Is In the Lord”


The Rev. Dr. Skip Ferguson
Manassas Presbyterian Church
Manassas, Virginia
April 2, 2017—Fifth Sunday in Lent

“My Hope Is In the Lord”
Selected Verses from
the Book of Psalms

Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my supplications!

If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,
who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with you,
so that you may be revered.

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
more than those who watch for the morning,
and in his word I hope.

My hope is in the Lord!
For with the Lord there is steadfast love,
and with him is great power to redeem.
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
My hope is in the Lord!

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul
O my God, in you I trust;
Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths,
for you are the God of my salvation.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

I shall not fret because of the wicked;
I shall not be envious of wrongdoers,
for they will soon fade like the grass,
and wither like the green herb.

A king is not saved by his great army;
a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
The warhorse is a vain hope for victory
and by its great might it cannot save.

I will trust in the Lord, and do good.
I will be still before the Lord
and wait patiently for him.
My steps are made firm by the Lord;
though I stumble,
I shall not fall headlong,
for the Lord holds me by the hand.

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
my soul clings to the dust;
revive me according to your word.
Teach me your statutes;
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.

Strengthen me according to your word.
Put false ways far from me;
and graciously teach me your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I set your ordinances before me.
I cling to your decrees, O Lord;
let me not be put to shame.

I run the way of your commandments,
for you enlarge my understanding.
My soul languishes for your salvation;
I hope in your word.
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,
and I will observe it to the end.
Give me understanding,
that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Turn my heart to your decrees,
and not to selfish gain.
Turn my eyes from looking at vanities;
give me life in your ways.

I lift up my eyes to the hills—
from where will my help come?
The Lord is my help.
The Lord will keep my life.
The Lord will keep my going out
and my coming in
from this time on and forever more.

One thing I asked of the Lord,
that will I seek after:
to live in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life;
to behold the beauty of the Lord,
and to inquire in his temple.
I believe that I shall see
the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living.

For you, O Lord, are my hope,
my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
I will hope continually.

I will rejoice in hope,
and I will persevere in prayer.

Yes: I will rejoice in hope,
and I will persevere in prayer,
for I know that it is
“faith, hope and love that abide.”

O give thanks to the Lord,
for he is good;
his steadfast love endures forever!

Great is the Lord
and greatly to be praised!

All your works shall give thanks to you,
O Lord!
And all your faithful shall bless you!
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised!

Praise God the Father!
Praise God the Son!
Praise God the Holy Spirit!

May the God of hope,
the God of hope,
our God of hope,

fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
joy and peace
in believing,

so that you may abound in hope
abound in hope,
abound in hope.

by the power of the Holy Spirit.

AMEN
AMEN
AMEN